1 – 2” piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 piece cinnamon stick (3-4” long)
2 tsp fennel seeds
8 black peppercorns
20 – 25 cardamom pods, cracked and crushed
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Pinch of saffron threads
1 quart whole milk (4 cups) —Almond milk, Oat milk or Coconut milk also work
3-4 TBS pure maple syrup
2 1/2 C water (filtered)
- Pour 2.5 cups of filtered water into a medium saucepan.
- Crush the cardamom pods with a mortar and pestle and add to the water.
- Peel and slice (or grate) the ginger. Add to the water.
- Add the remaining spices, except for the saffron, to the water. Bring spices to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to med-low and simmer the spices for 15-30 minutes, until the water is reduced to ½-1 cup in quantity. This is your tea concentrate.
- Add the four cups of milk and pinch of saffron.
- Bring milk to boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 2-5 minutes longer.
- Add the maple syrup.
- Pour into a mug, sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg on top.
- Serve to the happy mama and listen to her say, “mmmmmmmm” as she takes a sip.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Teas
Keywords: Turmeric Lactation Tea